Thursday, January 17, 2013

Life is too short

I just don't feel that I'm old enough to have friends whose parents are getting sick or dying. They are too young, I am too young. Why is life so unpredictable? My best friends dad passed away last Friday night. Sudden, unexpected heart attack at 66 years old. SIXTY-SIX! My dad just turned 60, Steve's dad is 73, it really puts things in perspective. What is important? What petty things we bitch about on a daily basis?
I can't really think about it b/c it tears me up knowing how quickly their lives have changed. How her mother now has to go home to an empty house. What things he was going to finish that weekend, only he never got the chance? We all know it will happen....eventually...in the future...right? But what if the future is tomorrow? I wouldn't be prepared for that, I don't think any death is something you can really prepare for but so unexpected, so sudden, so out of the blue. I can't wrap my head around the fact that some day (very, very far in the future!) I will get that same phone call about one of my parents.
At the funeral today, I was fairly pulled together. Then my friends 5 year old daughter came into the church and that is when I started thinking (thinking only produces tears during a funeral). Does she know what is going on? Does she understand? I know Presley doesn't fully understand the concept of death and we just told her that Bridgets grandpa went to heaven. Heck, we don't even know if she knows what that means or if they teach her about heaven in her preschool class (remember this is a religious school).
Colleen, my love, sympathy and heart goes out to you and your family! You are one of the strongest women I know and you always seem to have everything together. We are always here for you whenever you need us! Remember, your dad and Bo are probably together having a beer right now!  Did Bo like beer? Or did he prefer wine coolers? :)

(Sorry this post is all over the place, probably not making any sense but when it comes to death nothing makse sense to me either)

No comments:

Post a Comment