Sunday, August 5, 2012

80 degrees and perfect!

- We started this weekend off with Steve going to work Saturday morning and then we took a family trip to the mall. I haven't been to the mall in a long time! It is better that way, considering I spent $60 on myself! Presley is getting much better about walking instead of being carried, especially with me!
Then 12 of us went to the Olive Garden for Samantha's birthday dinner and then the Iowa Cubs game afterwards. Great family time, good conversations and everyone seemed to get along!
This morning I went into work, to try to get ahead since I got called for jury duty tomorrow! We did our normal grocery shopping then lunch. Steve wasn't feeling all that great so Presley and I got ready and went to the pool! I will say, I love this 80 degree weather but the pool feels so much more refreshing when it is 100 degrees out! LOL!  After the pool, we had popsicles and then painted her nails pink and purple. I wish we would've enjoyed today's weather a little more but hopefully there will be more 80 degree days to come!

- I've read 3 books in the last 2 weeks! The Kindle was the awakening of my love for reading!
   Slammed - A good, easy reading kind of teenagery story line. Teenage love, full of emotion, but I really liked it, I don't seem to like those real books..you know the ones that teach you to be a better person, or help you find your inner peace. Maybe someday I'll go down that path.
   A Chance of Fate - A previous coworker of mine wrote this book! It's with werewolves, kinda like Twilight but a little more riskay (and no vampires)! For her first book, she did a pretty good job and I'm so happy that she was able to fulfill her dream of writing and publishing a book!
   Dear Daughter - This was written by one of the authors of a blog that I read. I love her! She also wrote "It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita", which was the PERFECT book to read after I had Presley! This book was filled with letters that she wrote to her daughter every month for the first 5 yrs of her life. It was funny, inspirational and makes me love being a mom a little more! :)

- We tried to have a 'pooping' intervention last week, refusing to give her a diaper. She hadn't gone since Tuesday afternoon and by Thursday she insisted on a diaper, sorry, too bad, sit on the potty. We had crying, screaming, pouting but we didn't give in. She sat on the potty with very little effort in trying and eventually we put her back in her underwear to go to bed b/c I knew if we put a diaper or pull-up on her she would take advantage of it! We changed her into a diaper once we went to bed (so she wasn't even aware of it) and she actually got up in the middle of the night to go potty, took her dry diaper off and put underwear back on for the remainder of the night and woke up dry!
However, that didn't fix our pooping problem. My mom did a great job of not giving in to her either. She could've offered Presley the entire world and she still would've refused to go on the toilet, she had a couple crying tries on the potty but still nothing.
Finally, Friday night after more crying, screaming and begging her to try......she still didn't. I got online to look up any good advice and basically if the kid isn't ready, she isn't ready. Plus we didn't want her to get 'too backed up' b/c we were afraid it would hurt when she eventually did go and then she would continue to be afraid! So the diaper won. We did set up new rules though, she has to TRY on the potty before getting a diaper (and really try, I want to see her actually try to push!) and there is no more hiding in the closet or behind her door to go, everything is contained to the bathroom. We changed her diaper in the bathroom and we even flushed it down the toilet when she was done...I know, I know....TMI? Desperation? People, desperate times calls for desperate measures!

- So wish us luck this week....Steve is working late 3 nights b/c both of his jobs need to be done before school starts and I have to get in 10 hours of overtime (depending on this whole jury duty thing!) and we are starting Presley back up in gymnastics since we took her out for the month of July plus I have my 3 hour glucose test on Thursday and of course, my work is wanting the next 3 weekends from us! UGH! Teamwork and compromise is going to the name of the game this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment