Thursday, April 8, 2010

Marketing

I don't normally think I'm a sucker for marketing schemes. You know spend $50 get $5 off, save 10% when you open a new credit card, that kinda stuff.
Steve on the other hand, always thinks that if we are getting a good deal that we should buy it! He always says "we can't afford, NOT to buy it!"..............whatever that means!
But I will say there are 2 recent marketing campaigns that have really caught my attention. The first is for the Census! I hear the commercials on the radio and TV, so I was excited to get the Census and fill it out! Steve thought I was a little too excited about it, but for some reason I just feel that it is this cool, uniformed thing that all Americans are doing and filling out. Maybe I'm weird.
The second is "Great Faces, Great Places....South Dakota"! I always have the song in my head and it makes me want to take a trip to South Dakota, they make it look so nice. I'm sure it is probably boring, but the commercials almost convince me otherwise!

In college I took a marketing class and we had a discussion around name brand items versus generic, and if there was really a difference. We never grew up thinking name brands were all that special, but there are a couple items that our family will always favor. JIF peanut butter, Crest toothpaste and Tide detergent, just to name a few. I will admit Crest and Tide are pretty much the same as the other brands, but you'll never get me away from JIF!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, every time that South Dakota commercial comes on Lane makes a comment about how he wants to go there!!!! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete