Sunday, January 10, 2010

Technology = Lazy?

I love technology, don't get me wrong but I do think it is making people lazier and more impatient. Recently cell phones companies are trying to sell us on the fact that with their phone you can now search the internet while being on the phone! WOW.....is this such a great feature?! Because it is such an inconvenience for me to take 5 minutes and look something up on my actual computer or call you back in 5 minutes to find out this crucial time-sensitive information, like what time the movie starts or if we can get reservations at a restaurant!

I don't want to talk about college like it was a long time ago, but hey it was back in 2001! I had a AAA cell phone that was about the size of a remote control. I paid $25 for 25 minutes and it was only to be used for emergencies. That was perfect, there was no other need for it! I worked at Target my junior year in college and I remember leaving with all my other coworkers one night and someone asked if anyone had a cell phone. I was the only one.....the only one!
Now cell phones are no longer just phones....they are cameras, computers, ipods, keyboards....our whole life depends on these little things. I work with a lot of kids right out of college, it is amazing to me that they can't get thru a day without text messaging someone. Is it really that important? Doubt it.

A girl I work with mentioned getting a new laptop because her one from college was getting old. Really? It is crazy to me that times change so quickly! When I was in college (a short 8 years ago!) NO ONE had laptops! The kids who had computers in their rooms were few and far between. If you had to use a computer, you went to the computer lab! It was inconvienient and sometimes you actually had to wait in line! Now I can sit on my couch, watch TV and write on my blog all at the same time! Computers are no longer used for homework and email. They store pictures, we can watch TV and movies on them, we join these social networking sites to be 'friends' with these people that we never really talk to. Why do I care about about what some of these people are doing? Why do I plant crops on make-believe farms? Read blogs of people I don't even know? Because I'm lazy. I should be working out, cleaning, reading a good book, having a conversation with my husband (he isn't here right now, but that's not the point).

Here are my 2 other technology complaints:
I love digital cameras! LOVE them! It usually takes about 10 pictures to get a good one, this way I don't waste money having film developed of crappy pictures. However, now we download them and never print them! I love having photo albums! I need to get in the habit of printing pictures and filling albums.
I understand the point of having DVD/TV's in cars......for long road trips. I don't understand why I see so many people with TV's on in their cars on their way home from work? I'm assuming you have just picked up your child from daycare or school, is it really that hard to carry on a 10 minute conversation with your child? Maybe when Presley gets older I will understand more? But right now I think it is sad.

Anyway that is my piece on technology, and I do believe the pros completely outweigh the cons! I just hope in the long run we can all slow down and enjoy life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jessica... that was deep "slow down and enjoy life". Will do. :-)

    ReplyDelete